Monday 28 July 2014

3 Questions People Are Asking About You:-

You may have heard
John C. Maxwell’s quote, “Leadership is influence.”
Have you also heard him say, “Connecting increases your influence in every situation”?
There are lots of rules telling us how to not become “too friendly” at work. So, what does connectinglook like in the work environment?
Let’s start with his example of what work feels like when you do not have those important connections. Have you ever felt that you were the most skilled person in an area of work, yet you aren’t being promoted? Or that you work hard and produce, but others don’t seem to appreciate what you do? Or you desire to build relationships with people around you – but no one will listen to you and you feel like an outsider? What’s missing is being connectedto those you work with.
Connecting sounds easy – most people do it naturally with our family and long-time friends. But when it comes to new people or new situations, we don’t know the steps to go through. That’s why I have been so inspired by John Maxwell’s book “Everyone Communicates, Few Connect.” In it, he shares his struggle to connect:
“I was working from a deficit position. I had a lot of ambition and clear goals during college and the early years of my professional life, but my inability to connect with people was a barrier to my success.”
Have you ever felt like John? I have. One of the paragraph titles resonated strongly with me,More Talk Isn’t the Answer! And I remember trying just that – if someone brought up a topic, I tried to find a way to relate it to something I had thought, read, or experienced.
I wanted to show we had something in common – instead I gave the impression that all I wanted to talk about was me… and people did not find that very interesting.
Luckily not only has John gotten better at connecting over the years, he’s figured out what he DOES to connect with others and in his book, teaches us how to do it too. When people follow John’s advice, they see changes in their life by having deeper personal relationshipsexperiencing less conflict, and getting more things done. Add to that the personal satisfaction of making the most of your skills and talents and you have a win-win for everyone.
But don’t worry! All the techniques and principles that John teaches maintain one’s privacy and professionalism. He does not promote TMI (Too Much Information) but provides a guide for how and what is appropriate, and even necessary, to forge a connection.
While I hope you’ll join me on a group exploration of this book – or at least get the book and read it yourself (links below)– here are some tips you can put into action to become a better connector today.
The 3 Questions People Are Asking About You:
  1. Do you care for me?
    “Whenever you can help other people to understand that you genuinely care about them, you open the door to connection, communication, and interaction.”
  2. Can you help me?
    “If you want to get someone’s attention, show how you can help.”
  3. Can I trust you?
    “Business goes where it wants to, but stays where it is appreciated.” Mike Otis

No comments:

Post a Comment